1. I am the youngest of 3 children.
2. Grades 1 – 12 were spent in a school with one name. There was no junior high/middle school.
3. I had swimming lessons every summer until I was 12 or so.
4. I am a “change of life baby”.
5. I played the clarinet for seven years in the school band.
6. I remember “Colored Only” signs.
7. I was born in Arkansas.
8. I now live in California.
9. The Bible verses that get me through:
Psalms 37: 1-3 1 Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of those who do wrong; 2 for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away. 3 Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
10. I like to play Literati (online Scrabble on Yahoo).
11. My mother, my sister and I all got married at the same age — 22.
12. My mother, my sister and I all had our first child, a daughter, at the same age — 24.
13. I love watching football — live and on tv.
14. I do not like chocolate cake or chocolate ice cream.
15. I LOVE butter pecan ice cream.
16. I make a mean poppy seed cake.
17. I love to make cheese cakes for my mother-in-law because she loves them.
18. I have not had a piece of cheesecake in 5+ years. I lost my appetite for them.
19. I have never seen my father with hair. He was bald when I was born.
20. I have one husband.
21. I have a swimming pool.
22. I love national and international travel.
23. I do not like cold weather, ergo California.
24. I prefer vocal to instrumental music.
25. I prefer R&B to avant-garde jazz.
26. I prefer 60’s oldies to straight ahead jazz.
27. I love the sound of Kem’s voice.
28. Lou Rawls is my all-time favorite male vocalist.
29. I can be a procrastinator. I truly believe that the last-minute can save the day. Lots of my best things get accomplished in that last-minute.
30. I have a friend from first grade and we are still together–through separation for college, marriages, her divorce, birth of children, death of parents, death of one of her children, graduations, vacations, cross-country shopping trips, etc., etc.
31. I had locks for 7 years: April 19, 2000 until December 29, 2007.
32. I want to jump from an airplane — tandem, of course.
33. One of my travel goals is to cruise the Mediterranean through the Greek Isles.
34. I want to live in Mallorca, Spain for one year.
35. I want to record for Reading for the Blind.
36. I want to teach English abroad.
37. I want to have a one woman photography show.
38. I am creating a photo/memory journal for my major trips. I truly wish I had begun this process years ago when I first started serious travels.
39. I am creating a 365 day photo journal of my life for a year.
40. I believe Vanity and Communication are driving our society. That is what Facebook, blogging and photojournalism is all about.
41. I was in a pearl shop in China when the results of the 2008 election reported that Barack Hussein Obama was the 42nd president of the United States of America. The place erupted with cheers and tears.
42. I was sitting in my Current Events class when President John F. Kennedy was shot and killed.
43. I like planting flowers and gardening.
44. I do not like the continuous process of tending and weeding the garden.
45. I love working crossword puzzles. It’s in my blood, on my mama’s side 🙂
46. I get my carefree, jovial, friendly personality from my father.
47. I get my love of education and love of travel — what my mother called “wanderlust” — from my mother.
48. My brother was killed in a car accident 49 years ago. I cannot remember a lot about him but I miss the relationship that did not reach maturity.
49. I am easily satisfied. I just like to be remembered and contacted from time to time.
50. I think I should be more sociable and host more gatherings at my home.
51. There are times when I have no inclination to be “bothered” with anyone.
52. I have 3 wonderful grandchildren. I was going to say “great” grandchildren but that would have given the wrong impression.
53. My first car ws a 1966 VW Fastback. Get this: my license plate was BEZ 233! My mind is amazing. I can’t remember what I wore yesterday yet I know my license plate number from 40+ years ago.
54. I have become a “list” person and I review my lists to check my “progress” on stuff.
55. I originally chose 55 things to write about me rather than 101 because I knew 101 would be hard to come up with. I was right because 55 is a challenge.
56. I try to watch Jeopardy every day.
57. I ruined an opportunity for my family to qualify to be on “Family Feud”.
58. I want to visit Niagara Falls — without going over the top in a barrel.
59. I want to write a book. I am developing and using my blogging skills to that end.
60. I wonder when I will retire. For the moment, I’m liking what I am (or am not) doing on my job.
61. I think I could perform a stand up comedy routine at an amateur night venue.
62. I have 4 children.
63. I call my husband Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
64. I prefer tea over coffee.
65. I had (warm) sake for the first time last week — in Japan!
66. I have never celebrated Halloween.
67. I have celebrated Kwanzaa since 1968.
68. No one has ever called me “sweet”!
69. I stopped drinking (mostly wine) on December 31, 1975. No!–I was not in a 12 step program.
70. I do not have a favorite color.
71. My favorite drink is Mountain Dew.
72. I am a people person.
73. I only have one son-in-law but that is because I only have one daughter (see # 12).
74. At one point in time, I was making all of the clothes for my entire family–pants, dresses, sweaters, play wear, robes, socks, slippers.
75. I have one mechanic, mostly. He gets jealous of other mechanics who work on my car from time to time when he is not available.
76. I can fall asleep almost before my head hits the pillow or desk–zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz — LOL!
77. I am the shortest person in our nuclear family — measuring in at 63.5″
78. I thought, I hoped, I wished that I could marry Stevie Wonder when I was 21 years old. Didn’t happen (see #63).
79. The first big star act I saw was Smokey Robinson and the Miracles in Chicago at The Packinghouse.
80. Emmett Smith is my all-time favorite football player.
81. Jerry Rice is my other all-time favorite football player.
82. I am not a die-hard Laker fan. Shhhhhh, please don’t tell anyone.
83. I carry purses that are waaaaaay too big then I put waaaaaay too much stuff in them and then the purse is waaaaaay too heavy!
84. I have 3 sons and one past, present and future daughter-in-law.
85. I walked the LA Marathon (26.2 miles) in 6 hours and 53 minutes!
86. I won a refrigerator by being in an appliance marathon. I had to stand touching the appliance of my choice for the longest time. I stood for 66.5 hours!
87. I have been in a tv commercial.
88. I have been a news writer for a radio station.
89. I worked for the phone company so long ago that Directory Assistance was then being called “Information.”
90. My best girlfriend and I both have the same job title–Academic Advisor, although we are separated by miles and miles and states and states. Funny, huh?
91. I left home for college and did not go back to live there!
92. I have no plans to return to my childhood home after retirement to live there.
93. I like wearing my husband’s shirts. I am wearing one now — at work. I have made my own casual Wednesdays.
94. I need to be in front of the tv less.
95. I want to go to bed earlier for 2 weeks to see if becomes a habit.
96. I prefer Jay Leno over David Letterman.
97. My all time favorite movie is Shawshank Redemption.
98. I can still put my foot in my mouth–literally and figuratively.
99. I do not wear heels over 2 inches high.
100. I know that it is easier to be happy than sad.
101. My favorite quote is, “It is better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have it than to have an opportunity and not be prepared.” –Les Brown