I know many people indicate 100 or 101 things to do in 1000 or 1001 days. I thought about it. My list is 82 things long because . . .
- I have things/projects I want to complete that have been on my various lists of one sort or another for too, too long.
- I must start somewhere in order to finish something.
- The sooner I start, the sooner I will complete this set and I can move on to something else.
- I need something “tangible” — aka, a list — to mark off completed items.
- Since this list is 82 things long, it shows that it has been building for a while. Obviously, I am an experienced procrastinator.
I am ready to start wiping my slate clean.
Begun October 6, 2009 Finish by July 4, 2012
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
1. Start a blog with a variety of pages and thoughts and pictures and tips and stuff.
2. Send a birthday greeting to everyone in my birthday book that I have a current and complete address for.
3. Reorganize the gift closet.
4. Give undesignated gifts from reorganized gift closet as random acts of kindness.
5. Read a book a month for a year from 4 categories: Fiction; Non-fiction; Autobiography/Biography; Travel. The books will be named upon selection and shown here.
6. Capture and post a picture a day for a year.
7. Categorize and organize all photos on hard drive.
9. Write 10 quotes that my Mother always used to show right from wrong.
10. Write 10 quotes that my Daddy always used to show right from wrong.
11. Combine the quotes and expand with anecdotes.
12. Complete the process by publishing their advice (see #9, #10 and #11).
13. Discard all old warranties and guarantees from the overcrowded file cabinet.
14. Drive an 18 wheeler.
15. Learn to play the recorder.
16. Have a recorder concert as a fundraiser for my favorite charity.
17. Train for my first 5K run.
I am well underway using the C25K training program. I started
18. Run a 3K in Spring ’10. Postponed because of foot surgery, but I’m coming back strong!
I have registered for my first 5K, March 10, 2012. I finished the 5K 3rd in my age category. My time: 33:07
19. Achieve 1,000,000 points in Fowl Words (KewlBox.com)
20. Reduce number of white blouses in my closets to 10.
21. Eliminate clothes not worn in last 9 months
22. Call my mother-in-law at least once a week for one year. This will start December 1, 2009)
23. Call everyone in my non-electronic address book. That’s the old tattered book that goes waaaay back.
24. Visit 5 state parks in California.
Alcatraz — September 3, 2010
25. Plan and have a Bid Whist Card Party.
26. Plan and have a Soup and Chip Movie Night.
27. Spend a night at the Madonna Inn.
September 16, 2010
We stayed in the Dot and Daisy Room.
28. Visit Maine in the fall to see the changing color of the leaves.
29. Visit Massachusetts in the fall to see the changing color of the leaves.
30. Visit Connecticut in the fall to see the changing color of the leaves.
31. Visit Rhode Island in the fall to see the changing color of the leaves.
32. Visit Vermont in the fall to see the changing color of the leaves.
33. Visit New Hampshire in the fall to see the changing color of the leaves.
34. Visit 6 New England states to complete the 50-states-visited goal.
35. Watch all of Morgan Freeman’s movies. (BTW, I originally chose Samuel L. Jackson and his movies. That man has made a boatload of movies. I think he must make movies for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. So he will have to be a movie list later in my world.) The Morgan Freeman movies will be listed as completed.
Driving Miss Daisy, Lean onMe, The Shawshank Redemption, Amistad, Bruce Almighty, March of the Penguins, The Bucket List, Invictus
36. Read to the elderly at the Care Center for 3 months on Furlough Fridays. This will start in January 2010.
37. Set up webcam and visit with the grandkids.
Visited with MS Precocious from Argentina and Antarctica in November 2009
Watched TX Cutie and TX Hercules bake cookies, eat ice cream and share a meal worm with me on Skype while with The Party King on October 15, 2010
38. Walk 3 miles at least 5 days a week for one year. This will begin January 1, 2010.
This was modified to walking a total of 1,000 miles between January 12, 2011 and December 31, 2011 — DONE!!
(I actually walked 1,022 miles!)
39. Volunteer at KSPC.
40. Watch The Godfather.
41. Repaint the dining room.
42. Empty the sewing room and recreate it as a craft room.
42. See the aurora borealis in Iceland.
43. Set up a PayPal account.
44. Sell something on eBay.
45. Redeem my frequent flyer miles.
September 24, 2010
I thought this would be for my flying but alas I redeemed my miles so Nerd Girl and MS Precocious could come home for Christmas 2010.
46. Say something nice to my husband every day, journal it and give it to him at the end of 365 days.
Start on January 1, 2010.
Presented the completed booklet to Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde on January 1, 2011 — I had to include 12/31/10
47. Write a letter to TX Sweetie in January, April, July, November.
48. Write a letter to MS Precocious in February, May, August, September.
49. Write a letter to TX Hercules in March, June, October, December.
50. Whittle 3 inches off my waist measurement.
As of 7/14/10 not going too well. I have actually ADDED 3 inches to my waistline. I know, I know, I’m working on it.
As of 2/10/12 I am down the 3 inches in the waist and a loss of 14 pounds in the last two years!
51. Reorganize existing playlists on iPod.
52. Add 3 new playlists to iPod.
53. Learn to use blackboard.
54. Do a one-woman photography exhibit.
55. Conduct a workshop at City Parks & Recreation.
56. Memorize Invictus by William Ernest Henley
57. Make a pound cake from scratch.
58. Listen to — I mean really listen to — a new CD weekly. I know the music I like. However, I need additional/new songs to keep me going.
59. Visit all 7 continents.
!!Took a 12-day expedition/cruise to Antarctica.November 11 thru November 23, 2009 !!
60. Go to Belize.
61. Go to Aruba.
62. Create an “eHow” video.
63. Get a library card.
December 14, 2009
64. Read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde–for clarification purposes.
January 4, 2010
65. Create my own source of income for post-work days.
66. Go on a book signing tour (see #12).
“Tour” may not be the right word for one appearance but it happened on June 27, 2010 even though it was for a different book than #12!
67. Decorate 30 tins for sale online.
68. Use library card to get books to read within the year (see # 5)
69. Make photo cards as gifts.
70. Make photo cards for profit.
71. Finish the CD relocation and reorganizing in the Music Room.
72. Visit the Bowers Museum.
February 12, 2012 Warriors: Tombs and Temples
73. Visit the Norton Simon Museum.
74. Visit the Central Avenue and Beyond exhibit at the Huntington Library.
Mr Hyde and I went on December 4, 2009
75. Learn the metric system.
76. Study and refresh knowledge of French–again.
77. Listen to and study 2 operas.
78. Polish all my shoes.
79. Watch all the movies on my iPod.
80. Attend 5 lectures on a new and currently unknown topic.
81. Take a picture of everyone in my cell so their picture is shown whenever they call. Have the identifying photo for all in my cell phone.
A work in progress
82. Start a new and longer list!