Well, we are in the last half of the third month of the first quarter of a (kinda) new year. In 2012 one of my goals was to run a 5k each quarter. (RECAP: I completed all four 5k’s and came in 2nd – once; 3rd – twice; and 6th – once. YaaaaY!!)
Wellllll, last Saturday, I completed my first 5k of 2013. Before you say too many woo hoo’s, I need to confess:
- I did NOT train like I should have AND I knew that. In my whole training period I never ran a complete 5k (3.1 miles). That is not good.
- Our Saturday walking group was fired up and ready to walk it. But I could ignore them 🙂
- I gave serious consideration to not running at all. Then I thought about all of you — encouraging me, cheering me on and waiting for results.
- I need new running shoes. I have now put 5 5k’s plus training on them.
- I thought there would be a rainstorm in Southern Cali last weekend. It turned out to be perfect running weather.
- OK, when you’re looking for excuses, you can always find lots of them. They’re everywhere! Remember that this also applies to your life journey.
I got up and went to run just to get this thing over. Guess what I found out?!?!?:
- There is an invigorating energy that passes through the crowd. I got the fever.
- There are not a lot of women my age running. So my chances increase over the general younger population to win, place or show.
- One of our group members offered to fix breakfast after the 5k! Count me in!
- I set out to run and run I did.
I came in at 36:30 — running. Dr./Mr. came in at 38:59 — WALKING!! Read it again if you need to. I said I came in at 36:30 — running. Dr./Mr. came in 38:59 — WALKING!! (I do NOT even want to talk about those stats!)
I got a massage after the run while waiting for the medal presentation — Ahhhhhhhh!
End Results: I came in 2nd in my age category! Now you can say woo hoo!!